Another fun activity I did over the weekend, it was a first time experience for me but I will definitely be working with clay moving forward! I bought Natural Modelling Clay at the dollar store, two bricks for $1.50 each. This was MORE than enough, I brought both bricks to my best friend’s and we were both able to make tons of fun creations and still had almost an entire brick left over. She made a really nice Moon Phase chime and a teepee incense burner, I made my leaf bowl, an Awen pendant, and a tiny skull for shits and giggles.
You can make literally whatever you want, but here is how I made the leaf bowl!
What you need:
– Natural Modelling Clay
– A sizeable leaf to press
– A knife
– Plastic Wrap
– A bowl
– Acrylic Paint
– A rolling pin (Or wine bottle)
– Knead your clay until it’s soft and pallable
– Roll it out flat until it’s your desired thickness
– Take your leaf and press it down onto your clay
– Run over it with the rolling pin until it’s definitely imprinted on the clay
– Gently peel your leaf off your clay
– Using your knife, cut out the outside shape of the leaf like the image below
– Gently lift your clay leaf off the surface, be careful not to smush it!
– Place plastic wrap in a bowl and then place the clay leaf in the bowl so the leaf has a rounded bowl shape as shown below
– Allow 24hours for your clay creations to dry and harden
– Paint! You can paint these however you like, I do not recommend using water in your paints as it could cause the clay to smudge
– You may choose to use a clear coat, you can use Krylon clear coat spray or even clear nail varnish. This is completely optional.
– Enjoy your new creation, use it for holding herbs, jewellery, or stack them up by size for a decorative piece!