Good evening guys!! I did this a few weeks ago but was super lazy about posting about it. I was really excited about the project and knew eventually I’d share so the day has finally come at long last. (Well a few weeks later lol)
A while back I was looking on Etsy at Wiccan herb boxes and I really loved the idea of having something to keep my herbs organized in a really tasteful way instead of just having a buttload of bottles askew on my dresser. I found one on Etsy that was around $80 for a glass top tea box with various herbs included and I showed my cousin / close friend Amy to see if she thought it was worth the price. Of course regardless of the price, someone put time and effort into it and deserves to put whatever price on it they wish, but Amy reminded me that I am a creative and capable person and I could make one myself for a lot cheaper. I was skeptical at first but I knew she was right so I decided to keep my eyes peeled for a suitable box.
I ended up going into Michael’s with my bestie Sahtera for some supplies for her wreath making business and I spotted a glass top tea box for only $13.99. Boom. I was ecstatic because I already had the herbs to fill it and didn’t need to spend any more than that and this one was bigger than the one on Etsy and even included a drawer.
I also bought the two pendants you see on top of it but that’s irrelevant. (But also they were only $5 so get your butts to Michael’s!!).
ANYWAY, I had plans to paint the box but I really preferred the look of a dark wood stain, it just felt more natural for what I was trying to accomplish. While this box was meant to be for storing herbs, I still had an aesthetic in mind.
I didn’t have any wood stain so I had to get creative and spent days googling, pinteresting, and youtubing various DIY wood stain methods. The only one that would achieve the look I wanted with the supplies I already had on hand, was coffee grounds.
I literally took a spoonful of Folger’s Instant Coffee and added a few drops of warm water. I stirred it until the grounds had dissolved and I was left with a nearly black syrup-y liquid. I was extremely hesitant to use this because I was worried it would dry sticky, or mold, or spontaneously combust, you know the usual irrational fears we have when trying something new. I applied it with a paint brush and it actually dried quite quickly. I covered it with an acrylic clear coat to protect it and oh my gossssh, it looks gorgeous ya’ll.
My essential oils and herb bottles fit perfectly inside and hell even my smudging sage fit!
So for $13 and a little time and love, I ended up with something I actually like better than the $80 version I thought was out of my area of creative expertise. Long story short, try the thing even if the thing seems daunting.